The Candidacy Process & Applications
Please scroll down to find information, applications and forms related to Certified Candidacy, Local Pastor, Provisional Membership, Associate Membership, Full Membership and Certified Lay Minister (in that order).
Becoming a certified candidate is required to apply for local pastor licensing or to apply for ordained ministry.
The official list of requirements to become a certified candidate in the New England Conference are found in this checklist: Certified Candidacy Requirement Checklist (aka Checklist for Certified Candidacy)
More detailed instructions related to the certified candidacy process, the required evaluations (psych, medical, background, credit), and UMCARES can be found in this document:
Candidacy Process & Candidacy Mentoring new 2021
Certified Candidacy Forms and Links: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
LOCAL PASTOR LICENSING
Local Pastor in the New England Conference must apply for a license to serve in a local church or other ministry. See the requirements in this document: Local Pastor Requirement Checklist
Most candidates for local pastor must successfully complete an approved Local Pastor Licensing School prior to licensing and other educational while serving. For information on Local Pastor Licensing School, the New Pastor Orientation, and the Course of Study, please click on this link to the education page: Local Pastor Education
Provisional membership in the Order of Deacon or the Order of Elder
To be eligible to apply for provisional membership one must:
- Be a certified candidate for at least 1 year, and no more than 12 years (see requirements for becoming a certified candidate, Candidacy Checklist, above)
- Have completed a bachelor's degree
- Have completed an M.Div.* (Elder or Deacon) or master's (Deacon) degree from a seminary listed by the University Senate. Seminaries approved by University Senate
*Also, see BOD 324.6 for alternative requirements for Local Pastors with 4 years of full-time service.
- Have completed 1/2 of the Basic Graduate Theological Studies (BGTS) and be able to complete all BGTS before FULL membership (para 324.4a; BGTS include Old Testament, New Testament, theology, church history, mission of the church in the world, evangelism, worship/liturgy, UM History, UM Doctrine, UM Polity
- Have an up-to-date psych and background check. If these assessment are more than 7 years old, you will need a new one. Please contact the BOM Registrar (email@example.com or 603-892-0359).
PROVISIONAL MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION PACKETS
These Application Packets (pdfs) contain the official instructions, requirements, and forms.
Note: 2021 Applications are for Examination in February 2021 and Commissioning in June 2021, but many application deadlines are in 2020. Please tell your dCOM as soon as possible if you are planning to apply (scheduling may begin early).
A requirement for full membership in both the Order of Elder and the Order of Deacon is was the Fruitfulness Project which is "a project that demonstrates fruitfulness in carrying out the church's mission of 'Making Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World'".
FP Update Form After
al is approved, submit an update form each April for BOM Interview.
Approved FP Proposal Library Every Fruitfulness Project proposal must be approved by the BOM ahead
of time. We have a "library" of proposals that have been approved. New England provisional members can access
these sample proposals by contacting the BOM Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Order of Elder Application Options
With the addition of the Fruitfulness Project to the requirements for full membership, the New
England Conference decided to no longer require Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE).
(A) Two different applications will be available for full membership in the Order of Elder: (1) the "Project
Application" which requires the Fruitfulness Project and (2) the "Alternative Application" which does not
require the fruitfulness project.
(B) If you began an approved Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program prior to July 1, 2014 (and
completed 1 unit of CPE), you are eligible to choose which application you prefer to use.
(C) If you had not begun CPE prior to July 1, 2014, you will be required to use the Project Application (some
folks commissioned prior to 2014 may also be allowed a choice, please contact the BOM Registrar).
(D) If you are eligible to choose an application, once the choice has been submitted (in Part 1 of the a
application), the application type cannot be changed. Requirements cannot be interchanged between
(E) Deacon candidates are not required to do CPE, and are required to complete a Fruitfulness Project
regardless of the dates that they may have taken a CPE program.
(F) Please direct questions about full member requirements to the BOM Registrar
(G) Please read this additional information on the Fruitfulness Project (FP) above.
Applying for Full Membership
in the Order of Deacon (para.330) or in the Order of Elder (para.335)
To be eligible to interview for full membership, applicants must have:
- completed all of the following Basic Graduate Theological Studies (para 324.4a):
Theology, Old Testament, New Testament, Church History, Mission of the church in the world, Worship/Liturgy, Evangelism, UM History, UM Doctrine, and UM Polity.
- been a provisional member for 3 to 8 years.
- served full-time (or equivalent) under episcopal appointment for at least 3 full annual conference year
- completed the Provisional Leadership Academy (if commissioned 2011 or later).
- completed all other application requirements and submitted them on time.
FULL MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION PACKETS:
These Application Packets (pdfs) contain the official instructions, requirements, and forms in pdf format.
Application Packets and Forms also available from the BOM Registrar (email@example.com).
Applicants must (para.322):
- Have reached age 40
- Have served 4 years as full-time local pastors
- Have completed licensing studies and the 5-year Course of Study
- Have completed a minimum of 60 hours toward a B.A. or equivalent
- A complete checklist of submission requirements can be found in the application packet:
ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION PACKETS
The Application Packets (pdfs) contain the official instructions, requirements, and forms.
Contact the BOM Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org or 603-892-0359) with questions or for other forms.
Looking for Something?
If you are unable to find what you need on the BOM webpages, or if you find any incorrect links, please email email@example.com. Thank you!
Back to The Board of Ordained Ministry MAIN PAGE