The office of Congregational Development is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2020 Urban Ministry and Together for Tomorrow grants. The total awarded in this round was $77,720.
The Urban Ministry grants
primarily support churches engaged in the Urban Ministry Training Program
, however, there are also a limited number of funds available for churches in urban settings that are not part of this program. Awards this year totaled $49,500; with the highest individual award being $10,000.
- Jesus Life Center, Worcester, MA
- Haven UMC (Providence) is using their grant to launch a free music school (now set for fall 2020) particularly for children experiencing poverty.
- Wesley UMC (Lincoln, RI) is using their grant to upgrade technology for worship, including tech to allow them to livestream services more efficiently and to a wider audience.
Together for Tomorrow
- Living Stones UMC, Tewksbury, MA
grants are intended to help congregations start new ministries as they seek to reach more people, more young people and more diverse people. A total of $28,220 was awarded; the largest individual grants were for $5,000.
- Cape Elizabeth (ME) UMC is using their grant money to create a ministry that incorporate the land they own. They will be offering 8 monthly, intergenerational, guided Nature Walks, led by experts and will be followed with a simple meal. Each month a different subject will be explored. Art, journaling, photography, prayer writing, poetry and music will be used as part of the reflection time. Subject will include birding, animal habitats, native plants, trees, etc.
- Centenary UMC (Skowhegan, ME) will use their grant money to purchase supplies to create a public “Community Café” where people can come for a cup of coffee, a bit to eat, study, read, use free wi-fi.
- Federated Community Church, Hampden, MA
In addition to the ministries outlined above, this funding will also support multicultural ministry programs, online ministry, a literacy program, and the upgrading of worship equipment.
Visit the Congregational Development page
to learn more about these grants.