Most Common Concerns

Based on our prior client work with churches and other non-profit organizations, as well as the many calls we have had from members of the New England Conference since 1998, we know there are some commonly asked questions.

Here are the ones we get most frequently with answers we hope you will find clear and helpful (if not, please call us):

Q. What changes do we need to notify you about?
A. Any changes to your buildings or property; new construction or major renovation, any new activities which might produce a risk of liability; and any other significant differences to your current church operations.  

Q. Will changes at our church change our premium?
A. Possibly.  Your premium may be adjusted based on new or sold locations or changes in property values if over $1,000,000 in value change.  Other changes will most likely have no impact on your premium until the program renewal date. 

Q. Is there coverage for the pastor’s personal property or liability?
A. No.  Only business property of the pastor is insured through our program, and is limited to a maximum of $25,000.  It does not provide any personal liability coverage.  You should have your own homeowners or tenants insurance.

Q. If we request a Certificate of Insurance from a group using the church and they do not have insurance, does that mean we need to end this program?
A. No – many small groups and outreach programs have neither insurance nor assets.  Use your good judgment, but it is okay not to get Insurance Certificates from everyone.  Please call Fred C. Church staff to discuss individual situations.

Q. Following a loss control visit by Church  Mutual to our church, will they send us a written report of their findings?  Also, how will our insurance coverage be affected by whether or not we comply with the recommendations?
A. You will always receive a written report following a loss control visit.  Recommendations will generally be advisory, and you can decide if, when, and how to implement.  Occasionally there could be a mandatory recommendation, which you should implement, but you should call Fred C. Church to discuss if you feel it is unreasonable.  It is expected that you will provide a written response to Church Mutual on the status of their recommendations.  

Q. Where and how can we obtain a hard copy of this booklet?
A. Call Fred C. Church – we will be glad to send you a booklet by email or paper mail.  This booklet is also on the Conference web site here.

Q. How are Daycare Programs covered?
A. This program covers all church-run daycare programs, nursery schools, etc.  General and Umbrella Liability, Non-Owned Automobile Liability and Workers’ Compensation coverages all apply at the full policy limits.  Sexual Molestation is provided on the General Liability policy up to a limit of $5,000,000.
However, you must notify us of any licensed church owned or operated daycare or school operation.

Q. What if our church has property of significant and unique value, such as a particularly valuable painting or statue?
A. Fine Arts are insured at a limit of $15,000 on the Church Mutual policy. Should you wish to review your coverage limit, please contact Fred C. Church.  

Q. How do we contact the Conference Insurance Committee if we have comments about Church Mutual, Hartford Steam Boiler, Fred C. Church or the program in general – positive, constructive, or otherwise?
A. We would greatly appreciate your feedback – please contact the Chair of the Conference Insurance Committee LaVergne Randolph at (617) 969-6168 or

Q. How will Hartford Steam Boiler handle state-required boiler inspections?
A. All state-required boiler inspections will be done, at no cost to your church, through this insurance program. You should know that Boiler & Machinery insurance is quite specialized and only underwritten by a few insurers. Hartford Steam Boiler  is one of the largest Boiler & Machinery insurers in the world. Hartford Steam Boiler will be doing all inspections for the Conference program. Should you need a boiler inspected please contact our office. In some states, there is a fee charged by the state department for issuance of the inspection certificate. This cost is outside of the insurance program.

Q. What if we have a building which is not being used?
A. A “vacant” building is:  unoccupied, empty of contents, or not used or maintained on a regular basis.
Buildings under construction are NOT considered vacant.
If the building where loss or damage occurs has been vacant for more than 60 consecutive days before that loss or damage occurs, then loss or damage from the following causes are not covered: 
(a) Vandalism; 
(b) Sprinkler leakage, unless you have protected the system against freezing; 
(c) Building glass breakage; 
(d) Water damage; 
(e) Theft; or 
(f) Attempted theft. 
With respect to loss from any other covered cause, the amount paid is reduced by 15%.
(Exception in Massachusetts: Losses caused by fire or lightning are not covered if the building is vacant for 30 consecutive days or more) 
Please be sure to check your buildings on a regular basis and let us know if you have any concerns about being considered vacant.
This restriction does not apply to parsonages.
(Exception in Massachusetts: Restriction applies to losses caused by fire or lightning if the parsonage is vacant for more than 60 consecutive days)