Greetings! Your service as leaders in the Annual Conference is deeply appreciated! We want to alert you to some of the preparatory work underway for Annual Conference June 14-16, 2018.
Presentations: If your group or ministry anticipates presenting legislation or would like to request presentation time, please describe the topic and general concept on the Response form provided below even if your plans are still developing. We are requesting preliminary information by Jan. 15, 2018, for planning purposes.
If your group has information that can be put in writing or video format, we strongly encourage you to consider those options. A PowerPoint template will be provided, and slides need to be submitted one month before Conference for pre-testing. If you have any questions or need assistance, feel free to contact us or to add to the form below. No late submissions will be accepted.
For many groups, Annual Conference plenary offers only a brief witness or advertisement and we encourage groups to sign up for a display table and use district events and other venues for promotion. In order to ensure good stewardship of conferencing time, we are available to support your presentation preparation. We thank you in advance for your cooperation as we seek to creatively respond to the schedule logistics of Annual Conference.
Reports and Resolutions: As the Chair or head of a Conference Committee or Agency, you may be required to submit an Annual Conference report. Each Conference Agency is required to submit a report.
1. Reports for publication shall not exceed 700 words and shall include the name of the submitting body or person.
2. If you wish to submit a resolution for Annual Conference action, it should be included in the Pre-Conference report. Submit to the Conference Secretary by email per deadline.
3. Reports and resolutions submitted to the NEC requiring action by the Annual Conference will be reviewed by the Agenda Committee before publication in the Pre-Conference reports based on the following criteria:
1. What body is submitting the resolution
2. The number of members present and voting on the petition’s submission
3. The number of “yeas” and the number of “nays,” the number of members abstaining and the number of members absent.
4. A Resolution received by the Secretary for the Pre-Conference report may only be subsequently amended or changed at the request of the Agenda Committee before the booklet is printed.
5. Any material not included in the report, or changes or amendments to documents already submitted to the Secretary, which are required to be submitted to conference members, shall be presented to the Sessions Team Chair and the Conference Secretary for their approval, reproduced by the Committee, Agency, or individual, using their own resources and presented to the head usher/teller for circulation to all Annual Conference members at least 24 hours prior to the time of Conference action.
2018 Theme: Reports and presentations are encouraged to integrate the Conference theme into your materials. The theme for 2017 is “Vital Conversations: Culture.”
In addition, please note that the Disciplinary purpose of Annual Conference is “to make disciples for Jesus Christ by equipping its local churches for ministry and by providing a connection for ministry beyond the local church, all to the glory of God.” And, our Conference Vision is: Transformed by the Holy Spirit, united in trust, we will proclaim Christ boldly to the world.
Join us as Bishop Devadhar convenes a time of holy conferencing among all New England United Methodists.
Please see the dates listed below for the deadlines.
We look forward to hearing from you in preparation for holy conferencing!
Yours in Christ!