This event is co-hosted by the Conference Board of Church & Society
, New England Justice for Our Neighbors
(JFON), and General Board of Church and Society
The main components include:
- Immigration information updates for immigrants and their allies. Information on their rights and about how to respond to an immigration raid/deportation will be shared.
- How Congregations can engage in immigration justice: GBCS staff will lead this session to discuss the Sanctuary Movement and other faithful options.
- Training: We hope to invite leaders from other areas of the Conference to come and learn in order to offer a similar events in other areas of New England
Here is the schedule for the day:
- 10-10:15 a.m. Gathering/Opening Worship
- 10:15 - noon Program: “Know Your Rights” by Toni Machowski, program director, Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition (MIRA). This session will be translated into Spanish and Portuguese.
- Noon to 1 p.m.: Lunch and breakout session for Q & A among immigrants
- 1-2:45 p.m.: Program by Kristin Kumpf, director of organizing, GBCS. This program will be a working time for the participants. Folks are encouraged to come as teams from their churches, districts or communities.
- 1-2:45 p.m.: Rev. Robin Hynicka from Arch Street UMC in Philadelphia will share his congregation's experience of becoming a Sanctuary congregation.Currently an immigrant father with two children are staying at Arch Street Church.
- 2-3 p.m. gather for closing
Registration deadline is Jan. 25.
Questions? Contact Rev. We Chang at email@example.com