Music Director (part-time)
April 01, 2019
CHURCH MUSIC DIRECTOR
QUARTER TIME, SALARIED
THORNTON HEIGHTS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
South Portland, Maine
- Direct all-volunteer choir in weekly rehearsals
- Play for Sunday morning services on piano and organ (Choir run through at 8:45, service at 9:30)
- In consultation with or based on thematic direction from the pastor, choose service music
- Practice music for the service
- Arrange special music with volunteers from the congregation (a list of volunteers available)
- Communicate with pastor, church secretary, tech support and others as needed around music
- Purchase music and other supplies with budgeted and fundraiser monies
- May take up to 4 weeks paid vacation, but not from the beginning of Lent through Easter Sunday or Thanksgiving Sunday through Christmas Day.
- Arrange substitute musician when on vacation (a list of potential substitutes is available).
- As able, play for weddings and funerals for an additional fee.
- Special services: Maundy Thursday, Easter Sunrise, 2 Christmas Eve services.
- Additional services may occasionally arise.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Must be a skilled pianist
- Must be capable of teaching vocal parts and accompanying the choir
- Possess a sense of humor and an ability to keep rehearsal on task.
- Possess good communication skills; respond to e-mails, keep people apprised of your plans
- Enjoy working with people and possess a positive attitude
- Comfortable in a faith-based setting
- Must not discriminate against others for any reason: this church is open to all
- Functions under the direction of the pastor
- Communicates with the Staff/Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) regarding vacations and other personnel matters
- Director of the choir
- Manager of special music volunteers
- $8,500 to $10,500 depending on experience and expertise
Office Communication Coordinator
Thornton Heights United Methodist Church
Monday: 9:15 -12:00, Tuesday-Thursday: 9:15-1:00