May 28, 2021
Carter Memorial United Methodist Church in Needham and Wellesley, is seeking a Building and Grounds Superintendent/Sexton. The successful candidate will be responsible for routine maintenance of 2 church buildings and grounds and for coordinating and communicating with contractors as required to oversee work to address mechanical and structural issues. The position requires knowledge and skills in all areas of building maintenance including but not limited to plumbing, electrical and HVAC. This position is part time, 15 to 20 hours per week, salary negotiable. Please submit inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org Job Description follows: Have the ability to work flexible hours up to 20 hours weekly, mainly during normal business hours Have knowledge and skills in all areas of building maintenance, including but not limited to plumbing, electrical, HVAC, roof, sanding and painting. Have an understanding of all job tasks; demonstrate ability to work cooperatively with staff members and church leaders, as well as with tenants and other users of the buildings; be able to work independently; and be depended upon to initiate and complete tasks reliably and efficiently.
1. Perform a periodic walk-thru of the building looking for issues needing addressing and address them. Examples include checking for water leaks, dealing with emergency lights or replacing missing light bulbs, turning off lights left on, removing clutter/debris left by facility users (reporting to management if necessary), and monitoring heat/cooling in buildings
2. Monitor performance of all mechanical systems and identify developing issues
3. Perform routine maintenance a. Replace faucet washers b. Replace filters - Air & Water c. Change batteries d. Perform emergency repairs to minimize damage to facility e. Coordinate and schedule work by tradesmen. Escort tradesmen when on-site f. Coordinate with tenants to understand their needs, learn of facility issues from them and coordinate access to their areas.
4. Monitor and address grounds and exterior building issues a. drain cleaning in exterior stairwells, b. tree maintenance, c. gutters, d. roof leaks, e. shingles blown off
5. Manage and organize the storage and shop areas that support the buildings, including the boiler room, and other areas where tools, materials, and spare parts are kept.
6. Build and maintain a list of vendors used by the church with contact information, how they have been used in the past/areas of expertise and whether there is a maintenance contract and the terms and expectations.
7. Be available, as requested or required, to the Trustees to report/record status of projects and to provide information or advice about building/grounds projects and priorities.
Contact: Kathie Memorial Zeman
Address: 800 Highland Ave Needham MA 02494