Claims & Losses
What to do immediately
Your first response to any real or potential loss – property damage, personal injury, criminal act, etc. – should be to minimize further loss (e.g. call the Fire Department, secure endangered valuables). Using common sense and whatever resources are available immediately, do whatever you can to stabilize the situation and prevent more damage.
Should the incident involve personal injury or damage to someone else’s property, get as much information as possible right away. You should at least get their name, address, telephone number, and their description of what happened; ideally you should get similar information from one or more witnesses.
Then, and as soon as possible, you should notify us.
Who to notify
Please report any property or liability claim – regardless of location, type or size – to Fred C. Church’s Claims Reporting Unit:
All property and liability claims – even potential losses such as the threat of a lawsuit – should be reported directly to Fred C. Church. Please remember that your property damage deductible is $1,000 – there is no need to report those losses, which do not and will not exceed the deductible. Church Mutual’s claims team has a dedicated staff for the churches of the New England Conference; a member of this claims team can be reached 24-hours every day. In the event you need to contact Church Mutual directly, call: (800) 554-2642.
When in doubt, call us and we can talk about it.
Also available in the Form Finder
Workers’ Compensation Claims
A claim should be reported directly to Church Mutual any time a church employee, including the pastor, becomes sick or injured because of – and while on – church business.
- If reporting a claim at the time of injury, call the Church Mutual Nurse Hotline (844) 322-4662. The Nurse Hotline is available 24/7 (Click the link above to learn more about how the hotline works). Please call at the time of injury so they can provide guidance on appropriate treatment. Church Mutual provides immediate early intervention and coordination with preferred medical providers, nurse case management, return to work/light duty programs, and other options.
- If reporting a claim after the injury, call (800) 554-2642 (Select Option 2) or FAX a First Report of Injury form to (715) 539-4651 or email to email@example.com
Please report any actual or potential claim regarding Trustees and Officers Liability as soon as possible to:
- John Cardillo, Treasurer and Director of Administrative Services
New England Conference, Lawrence, MA (978) 682-7676 ext. 110 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Duble, Account Executive & CEO
Fred C. Church Insurance, Lowell, MA (800) 225-1865 ext. 7225
What to expect
Once you report a claim, Church Mutual and Fred C. Church commit to the following:
- Central Control – centralized Church Mutual claims service team dedicated to the New England Conference will oversee the handling of all claims.
- Major Claims – telephone response within 15 minutes all day, every day, on claims involving major property damage or severe injury.
- All other Claims – A Church Mutual representative will be assigned and in contact with you on every claim within 24 hours of reporting. If reported during normal business hours (8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday), you can expect telephone response within one hour of reporting.
- Local Service - a specialist will be assigned by Church Mutual to work with you to adjust the claim.
- Specific Claims Handling By Coverage
- Major Loss – immediate, on-site response, 24-hours/7 days a week.
- All Other
- Acknowledgement within 1 hour;
- Assigned claims representative in 24 hours;
- Representative will always visit on-site if you want, even on small claims;
- If easier, Church Mutual will accept estimate from church's contractor on non-major loss;
- Church Mutual will provide names of specialized contractors and suppliers (e.g. steeple repair, church pews) upon request.
- General Liability
- Representative will contact church pastor within 24 hours for details and discussion of claims-handling strategy.
- Church Mutual will contact third party claimant only after discussion with pastor to be sure church perspective on what happened is clearly understood.
- Workers’ Compensation
- A claim should be reported directly to Church Mutual any time a church employee, including the pastor, becomes sick or injured because of – and while on – church business.
- Report by Telephone (800) 554-2642 (Select Option 2) or FAX First Report of Injury form to: (715) 539-4651 or, email to email@example.com
- Assigned claims representative will contact church and injured employee within 24 hours after receipt of first report of injury
- Church Mutual provides immediate early intervention and coordination with preferred medical providers, nurse case management, return to work/light duty programs, and other options.
- Church Mutual will coordinate any state-specific reporting requirements.
- Trustees & Officers Liability
- Confidential treatment of all claim information by claims adjusters and attorneys.
- Coverage for legal defense costs up to the policy limit of liability on all covered claims.
- Definition of Claim:
“… means any demand made upon the insured for monetary damages, whether formal or informal, written or oral, as a result of a wrongful act."
- Church Mutual Assistance
Church Mutual has claims staff dedicated to the United Methodist churches, and will be notified by Fred C. Church about every claim.
Church Mutual and Great American have well-deserved reputations for fair and responsive claims settlement. However, should you have any questions or concerns about how a claim is being handled, we stand ready as your advocate.
Please feel free to call: Deanna Bullock, Claims Team Leader (800) 225-1865 ext. 7242