Requesting Advance Special Status
Agencies and Ministries requesting Advance Special status with the New England Annual Conference should first understand what Advance Special Status means.
- Advance Special giving is “second mile” giving. This means the churches need to pay all apportioned conference benevolences before making contributions to an Advance Special.
- Agencies requesting an amount for an Advance Special are not guaranteed that the amount will be raised and available. It is not budgeted by the Conference. The amount raised depends on “second mile” giving by churches or individuals. An Advance Special is not part of Mission Shares.
- An Advance Special is assigned a number and churches receive mission credit if they donate by the Advance Special Number through the New England Conference Treasurer. The numbers assigned are New England Conference Advance Special Numbers. General Conference grants their own Advance Special Numbers to Advance Specials, which are approved by the General Board of Global Ministries. This is a different application process and the two should not be confused. Agencies and ministries within the New England Conference can make application and obtain Advance Special Status at either or both levels.
- Having New England Conference Advance Special Status permits an agency or ministry to solicit donations from all churches in the Conference. Without Advance Special Status, this type of fundraising is not allowed.
- Advance Special donations are to be used for program funding only.These donations cannot be used for capital improvements.
- Agencies/Ministries need to recognize that Advance Special donations are raised only through the effort and hard work of a given agency/ministry. It is up to the agency/ministry to promote its programs in order to obtain financial support from the churches.The goal is to encourage churches to give.
Applying for Advance Special Status
Advance Special Status is approved by the New England Annual Conference at the recommendation of the Conference Secretary of Global Ministries and Conference Board of Global Ministries of the New England Conference. Agencies/ministries must apply for Advance Special Status by completing the Application Form (below), which includes the Covenant.
Approval is made for the Quadrennium. The current quadrennium is 2013-2016. Applications for new Advance Specials are accepted each year. Applications are submitted online by clicking the link below.
To apply for Advance Special Status you must submit an Application. Deadline is Jan. 15 each year.
After submitting your application, please email a financial report or budget to illustrate how the amount requested is part of a larger funding strategy. Please also include a project brochure, photos, or other materials that are pertinent to this application.
All supporting documents should be sent to the Conference office at email@example.com. Please reference the Program/Ministry name and provide your contact information.