“…the Church is either faithful as a witnessing and serving community,
or it loses its vitality and its impact on an unbelieving world.”
The Book of Discipline ¶ 107
Beyond the reaffirmation of faith, each local congregation is an expression of the ministry of Jesus Christ and bears witness to reconciliation with God and one another. As each congregation prepares its annual financial program, the language of numbers gives shape and dimension to faithful response to ministry. These responses connect our denomination in a dynamic multi-dimensional way.
Overall, our resources are apportioned to various distinct, but interconnected, programs and ministries. While they may vary in priority, each one is worthy of your careful, prayerful and responsible consideration and decision.
To assist you in your review of how your apportioned resources work, we have divided the fundamental needs of our Conference and denomination into three fund areas. Each fund represents an important area in which we are keeping faith with the Discipline and our commitment as a connectional people:
- Fund 1 – World Missions
- Fund 2 – New England Mission
- Fund 3 – Ministry Support
Your response to each of these funds will truly be an expression of faith; for all these funds address not only current, but also future needs. As such, they are the substance of things hoped for. In allocating apportioned funds, we are making tangible our confidence of the things we hope…for our communities, for our Conference, for our church, and for our world.
Mission Share Giving: What’s in it for others?
- Undergirds UMCOR so that disaster relief can be delivered, funds Health Clinics
- Sends out 1,812 missionaries around the world
- Supports Urban Ministries in Boston, Lynn, Lawrence, Portland, Worcester, Providence and more
- Supports rural ministries throughout New England
- Helps send Volunteers in Mission throughout the US and abroad
- Supports covenants with the West Angola Conference and la Iglesia de Cristo and other ministry partners in Nicaragua
- Supports Africa University
- Advocates for a living wage
- Helps women experiencing crises
- Opposes use of landmines
- Works to eradicate racism
- Feeds hungry children and families in our Conference and beyond
- Supports economic ministries in Western Maine
- Supports ministries to college students
- Advocates for our environment
- Opposes the death penalty
- Opposes legalized gambling
- Provides scholarships for students around the world
- Helps fund 225 retirement homes, 70 hospitals, 8 two-year colleges, 82 four-year colleges, 13 seminaries
- and much, much more!
Mission Share Giving: What’s in it for our Church?
- Trains lay speakers
- Subsidizes seminary education for your clergy
- Helps provide for youth ministry
- Provides pension and health benefits for clergy and families
- Helps start new churches
- Helps identify grant money for churches
- Provides consultants for churches
- Stewardship training
- Develops curriculum for Sunday Schools
- Provides scholarships
- Develops Disciple Bible Study
- Trains and develops missionaries
- Provides counsel for treasurers and trustees
- Maintains resource library
- Appoints a pastor to your church
- Administers pension and health benefits and local church insurance programs
- Works for an inclusive denomination
- Provides equitable and strategic compensation to pastors
- Supports 3 camps and a conference center
- Holds annual conference sessions
- and much, much more.